Monday, May 5, 2014

Camp NaNoWriMo, a Blog, and a Dog




I don’t know about you, but to me, April means Camp NaNoWriMo. I’m never one to let a NaNoWriMo event pass me by. Come April 1st and I was in my virtual Camp Cabin, chatting with my fellow writers and frantically typing away. Camp NaNoWriMo is always a month filled with frenzied writing, bursts of inspiration and unexpected challenges and this April was no exception.

My first challenge came in the form of RSI (Repetitive Stress Injury) in one of my hands, which reduced me to typing with one hand. Of course, being the stubborn writer I am, I refused to admit defeat and strapped my hand up in a wrist brace, bought an ergonomic keyboard, and soldiered on. While it made writing tough for a while, I wasn’t about to let it bring my Camp to an end early.

The next distraction came in the form of a brand new blog, this time about writing. For a long time I’ve wanted to start a blog about writing, but it wasn’t until this April that I actually got around to starting one. And so, Gossiping with Dragons was born. Of course, I started it in one of the busiest months of the whole year, but after all, that is what Camp NaNoWriMo is all about, the challenge.




Finally, we adopted a puppy from the animal shelter. A dog is another thing I've always wanted. So, just after Easter, right at the end of Camp when I needed to be catching up with the word count I got behind on during Easter, I was playing with a six month old puppy with a big nose and masses of curiosity. Nora is a bitzer, a bit of this and a bit of that, all combined to make a puppy that is a bundle of energy and endearingly friendly.

At the end of April, after all the challenges and distractions, what have I got? I have a Camp NaNoWriMo win, a brand new novel (in the form of a terrible first draft), a dog, and a new writing blog. To me, that equals a successful month.


How was your April? Like to come and visit my new blog? Did you take part in Camp NaNoWriMo? Anyone else got a dog with a nose like a vacuum cleaner? Any tips for avoiding RSI?

6 comments:

  1. That's awesome, Imogen! Sorry about your hand. Your new pup is a cutie.
    My April was filled with the A to Z Challenge. I am back to writing now though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved seeing A-Z on the blogs I read. I always enjoy seeing the themes. I so wanted to join in again this year, but figured that at the moment, with study and Camp NaNo, it was more sensible to give it a miss this year. Maybe next time. Good luck with your writing.

      Delete
  2. Wow! I am super impressed by everything you do...
    Your month sounds super busy and you still won nano... (I had a very calm month and a reduced word count and I still did not win. This month was a really weird month)
    I will check out your new blog right away!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Autschi, I'm afraid my natural stubbornness won't let me admit defeat, even if I want to give up. At least you gave Camp a go. That's what counts. Besides, some months are weird like that. Are you doing next camp too?

      Delete
  3. N'awww, such a cute puppy!! I'm jealous. ;) Haha! I really want a dog, but we don't really have a good house for one. Also: expensive. Gosh, why is everything always so expensive?!! At least books don't take much maintenance, so I collect those (well, they DO have the maintenance of needing to be kept company, so therefore I must buy more books). *ahem* Did you win your NaNo?? That wrist sounds really painful. I've never had ANY problems with my hands and I've written a lot (but not as much as you!). Except I totally bruised my hand playing cello and I have no idea how. Bleh. At least it doesn't stop my typing, juuuust playing cello. Going over to see your new blog now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean about not having a good house. For most of my life we used to rent houses. Lot of rented houses, lots of animals in cages, no dog. We adopted her from the shelter so at least getting her wasn't too expensive. Though I'm sure she's going to eat a lot.

      I envy you your book collection. Being penniless as I am I rely on the library for books. And birthdays. Your bookshelf is awesome. Books always need company *nods* Gotta look after them and love them and keep them close by.

      I did indeed win my NaNo, which I was very pleased about. You play cello? That is totally awesome. I only play piano. Sorry to hear about your bruised hand. At least it doesn't stop the important things of life. Thank for stopping by!

      Delete