Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Dead Ereaders and Kindles



A few months ago I broke my ereader. The button for turning the pages gave up between page turns. I had worn it out through copious reading. Which meant that I was stuck, halfway through a book.

This meant that I had to go back to reading paper books. While I loved paper books, I missed the library of classic books I had had. After all, paperback books must be bought, while classic ebooks are free.



Christmas came, and I was still borrowing free ereaders to read on, or reading on my computer if I wanted to read ebooks at all. I managed, but really missed my poor, dead ereader.

Opening one of my presents on Christmas Day, I was surprised and delighted to find myself staring at a brown box with the word 'Kindle' on it. My very own Kindle! At once I knew I was going to love this present. After all, Mum
loves her Kindle, and it is such a pleasure to use. Plus, as I soon discovered, it has two sets of page turning buttons, I assume in case you break one set through heavy reading.

Because Kindles don't come with covers, I made my own out of felt and silver beads. It turned out better than I thought it would.

I love using my new Kindle. The buttons are so nice to work, and I navigate the menu so easily. I love it even better than my dead ereader.

Right now I am working my way through 'Little Dorrit'. The percentage counter on the bottom of the screen is perfect or keeping track of where you are in the book. In 'Little Dorrit' the meter doesn't move very fast.



I love my new Kindle, and I look forwards to using it for a long time to come. Hopefully I won't break this one through my dedicated reading.

8 comments:

  1. Ah!!! Little Dorrit is one of my favorite books of all time all time all time ever! I adore Dickens, and Little Dorrit is definitely one of his best. Totally nerd squeeing over here :)

    Sarah Allen
    (my creative writing blog)

    ReplyDelete
  2. So what's the difference between a Kindle and a ereader?

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is sooo cool! That is the one and only reason I want an Ereader all of the wonderful FREE BOOKS!!! THEY LOOK SOOO AWESOME!!! And you cover is soooo beautifully made.

    To be honest where I work there are little felt bird ornaments with beads on them and every time I go past them I think of you and how cute and adorable you handiwork is.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sarah Allen, I'm well on my way to becoming a Charles Dickens fan myself. I think 'Little Dorrit' has converted me. To tell the truth, 'Little Dorrit' has been the easiest of his books for me to read. And I'm now encouraged to keep reading his books (on my new Kindle of course. I'm still excited over getting it.)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vellvin, a Kindle is a type of ereader. In my post I used the word ereader to mean any ereader that wasn't a name brand like Kindle. I think that the main differences between normal ereaders and Kindles are:
    Kindles can only read books in kindle format, other ereaders can use different forms

    Kindles have great build quality too, better than the other ereaders we own.

    Some Kindles also have the ability to go on a home internet network.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jessica, To tell the truth, the thing I love most about ereaders in general is the free books. That and you can take hundreds of books on holidays rather than lug around a library of physical books.

    It's so nice of you to compliment my handiwork. I've never thought of myself as very good at craft, but lately I've started doing more and more of it, and I think I've improved.

    That little felt bird I made earlier? I made a whole string of them for my Mum for Christmas. She loves them!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's cool you were able to get a kindle, i got one recently, love it!! and cool homemade cover!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aguilar Elliot, I absolutely love my Kindle. It's sitting next to me right now begging me to pick it up and start reading it.

    ReplyDelete