Sunday, August 28, 2011

Watching Jane Eyre


We're Jane Austen girls. We've read all her novels several times each and are constantly discussing some aspect or other of her life or writing. Charlotte in particular loves to read about Jane Austen's life and times. Her head is whirring with unusual Austen facts such as:

"Did you know that Colonel Brandon didn't have a first name?" or "Did you know that Colin Firth, the BBC actor of Mr Darcy wouldn't take his shirt off to swim through the lake?" or most recently "Did you know that the Bronte sisters didn't like Jane Austen and her writing?"

That last one made me stop and think. I've read so much Jane Austen, but hardly any books by the three Bronte sisters, Charlotte, Emily and Anne. Several years ago I read Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte for school work. But it had never before occurred to me to read any of her other books. I resolved to try out some others before too much longer.

It was only a couple of days later when I discovered that the Cinema was playing the new Jane Eyre movie. At once both Charlotte and I longed to go and see it.

"Look up the times and we'll get you to a showing," Mum said.

So it was off to the computer to check the times. A time was decided upon and relayed to Mum. Then we had a brainwave.

"How about we ask Mum to come with us? She'd probably enjoy it."

Mum was delighted to be asked. Mum is not a movie person normally, but the new Jane Eyre might just be worth going to see.

Tickets bought, we waited outside the cinema door. Charlotte and I eagerly discussed everything Bronte: the sisters's pseudonymous, the story of Jane Eyre, the other version we'd watched. Mum sat on a chair and watched us, by now used to us spouting strange knowledge.

Then the doors opened. We hurried inside, picked the best seats, and waited for the movie to start. The lights dimmed. My excitement mounted. And then the movie started.

I couldn't take my eyes off the screen. The beautiful scenery, the enthralling storyline, the characters, everything drew me into another world. I followed Jane's tragic story with avid interest. Then, suddenly it was all over. The credits rolled across the screen, the lights switched back on and we were walking out of the dim cinema into the bright light of day.

"So, what did you think?" Mum asked.

"It was great," Charlotte the fussy-about -movies said. "I really enjoyed it."

"Let's get the books of Jane Eyre out when we get home and read the real story," I suggested. "You haven't read it yet have you Charlotte?"

A new bunch of books now lies before us. Will we enjoy Charlotte Bronte's books even more than Jane Austen's. What about the other two sisters, Emily and Anne? I'm sure that Charlotte will raid the library for books about the Bronte sisters and their writings. Maybe one day we'll be the Bronte sisters rather than the Jane Austen sisters. Who knows?

What writers do you like? Do you like to find out more about them and their books? Have you read any of the Bronte sisters's books?

4 comments:

  1. I was wondering if you were a Bronte family, Immy, and, now, you've answered my question! Do you find the Brontes more melancholy than Jane Austen? We have a nice biography about them which I will dig out.

    I'm thinking that I must read 'Wuthering Heights' as I've not read that, yet. I'll be interested to hear how you like the books you read:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought 'Jane Eyre' the book was very melancholy last time I read it, but that was a couple of years ago. Right now I'm reading one of Charlotte Bronte's other books, "Villette".

    I haven't read Wuthering heights either yet. Yikes, there's so many books I need to read. Jane Austen will just have to wait.

    Thank you for stopping to comment. I always love reading and replying to them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wuthering Heights is kinda freaky, but than, all their books are rather that way, as I understand. The only other one I've read is Jane Eyre, which I liked, but it is strange, you have to admit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Magalen, one of my brothers read 'Wuthering Heights' for uni work. I didn't have much inclination to read it after he told me what happened. However, I think I might be brave enough to have a go now.

    I certainly do admit Jane Eyre is strange. I like it...in parts. In other parts I'm not so sure.

    ReplyDelete