Wednesday, March 28, 2012

What Makes a Good Blog Post?

When I look at a new blog, ultimately it's the blog posts that are going to draw me in. It makes sense after all, as that's what we go to a blog to read. And I know that I've found a blog to come back to when I really enjoy reading the posts.

What makes a good blog post in my eyes is a post that tells you something about the writer. Whether it's a post on the craft of writing, or a post on the person's life, having that connection is like a magic link, drawing me in.

Obviously I am selective about subject too. There's no point my reading a blog on photography or poetry, as neither of those are things I'm particularly interested in.

And then there's formatting. Paragraphs are essential in my eyes. You can write the best post in the world, but if it's densely packed with no spaces, I'm probably not going to read it, simply because reading block text is so tiring. And good spelling and grammar doesn't hurt either.

Of course, these are only my personal guidelines for good blog posts. Everyone has their own preferences. But to me, this is what makes a good blog post that'll have me coming back again and again.

What makes a good blog post in your opinion? What do you enjoy reading about?

7 comments:

  1. If a blog post is interestingly written, I often don't even care if it's something I'm not interested in - I'll read it anyway. Who knows, I may become interested in the topic after that post! Anyway, I just wanted to say that I think that pictures are important in a post as well. Even if it's just a semi-random image from pinterest or google images, that visual will draw people in. When I'm skimming through my dashboard, a pretty picture will always draw my attention. Also I know my mom, for one, will instantly become less interested in a pictureless page.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I knew I should have added a random picture to this post. And you're right, a picture does draw me in too. I generally try to have a picture in every post, but unfortunately I couldn't find one for this one.

      Delete
  2. Excellent points all around! I've followed quite a few blogs and make repeated visits thanks to folks who make the reading interesting and enlightening. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think that good writing is one of the most important things a blogger can have. I'm willing to put up with quite a lot if the blogger writes interesting posts.

      Delete
  3. That formatting thing is a deal breaker for me. I'm too old to wade through a soild block of text!

    That aside, I think I like blog posts that create connection, like you said, or that touch on something I identify with or am interested in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Solid text is so hard on the eyes. I love my white space in blog posts.

      Connecting with the blogger and getting a sense of the real person behind the writing feels so good.

      Delete
  4. Ooops. *solid, not soild. Though soiled text is bad too. :)

    ReplyDelete