Friday, May 25, 2012

Preparing for Writer's Camp



There's one week left until Camp NaNoWriMo starts. One more week to prepare plots, get to know characters, and steel myself for the mad dash of a month that's staring me in the face.

This is my first Camp NaNoWriMo, my second novel-in-a-month challenge, and the only time I've had sufficient time to actually plan any of my novel. In fact, I've had nearly a month of planning time, and surprisingly I've put it to fairly good use.

Because here's the thing. I'm not a big planner. I like to follow where the story leads when I write, mainly I think because I get lazy and planning's not as fun as actually getting in and writing. But I want a story I can revise and pull into some sort of shape, not one that needs several complete rewrites, and, as this month's novel is the first of a trilogy, I need to get things working right before August. Because in August, I write the second book in the series. So, I pulled out a battered old notebook and got to scribbling.

Normal planning methods, or what I think must be normal planning methods, never seem to work with me. I start out with a basic concept, but I can't plot straight from beginning to end. And so I ignored the plot, and worked on the easy bit, characters. Working out characters gave me scenes. And scenes soon led me towards a plot. A plot that actually seems to fit together well, for me at least. It's very basic, with no more than a sentence or two telling me what the plots points are, but this leaves me with plenty of creative elbow room. And it's the most complete plot I've ever come up with.

But the battered old notebook is filling up with other plot ideas too, not just things for the fantasy trilogy. Someone once said that creativity breeds creativity. Well, in my case, planning one book has led to finding another four or five prospective plots to work on. I've got ideas buzzing around my brain, and my pencil's getting worn to a stub from noting down ideas.

Maybe I'll just have to write faster during Camp NaNoWriMo and get a start on another novel. Only then, which to choose? Oh the problems of being a writer!

7 comments:

  1. It sounds like planning for homeschooling, Immy. It gets exciting when the ideas start to flow, doesn't it?

    Good luck with your writing:-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's wonderful when the ideas come and then stick themselves together into a working form. I'm getting quite excited about using this plan.

      Delete
  2. I'm trying to get into planning for Camp NaNo at the moment, and I'm struggling! I'm not a very good planner either, and I am also attempting to write the first drafts of each book in trilogy at each NaNo event this yea. It seems so daunting but exciting.
    Glad your planning is going well, and maybe see you around the Campfire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm attempting to plan out my NaNo novel at the moment, and I'm struggling. I'm really not very good at planning. I'm also trying to write a trilogy throughout the year with the NaNo events to. It's so daunting and exciting.
    Glad to see your planning is going well, and maybe see you around the campfire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your planning starts working before Camp starts. It's great to hear from a fellow Camper. Not many people I know are doing camp.

      How fun! We're both doing trilogies. And I'm spreading the books over the three NaNo events too!

      I hope to see you round the campfire sometime soon

      Delete
  4. Good luck! I have to get a decent draft of this new book in by the end of summer, so while I won't be at Nanowrimo camp, I'll be with you in spirit. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another writerly spirit. I hope your drafting goes well over the summer. I'll be thinking of you.

      Delete