Monday, May 14, 2012

Organising the Blog

So, as you've probably noticed by now, I've done a little reorganising round the blog. There is now a lovely neat row of pages across the top of the blog, each one containing blog posts of different subjects. Also, the cloud of labels in my sidebar has shrunk.

The reason for this sudden burst of organisation started with the realisation that I've written over 150 posts. That's a lot of posts for people to wade through, looking for posts on a certain topic. Even my labels wouldn't help people very much.

It was time, I decided, to change that.

Fast forwards a few days, and, with much effort and labour I'd relabelled every single blog post to fit under certain headings. If you look in my sidebar, you'll see that the number of post labels has shrunk dramatically.

Also, a new row of pages had sprung up. There's now a page for my writing posts (page still waiting for me to add the rest of the posts), a page for my art and craft exploits, especially my doodles. There's a page for my blogging posts (anyone want to know how to make a blog button?). And there's a page for my adventures with the NaNoWriMo events.

The NaNoWriMo events page is the page on which I've written all the information about my experiences with those events. There's the projects I worked on, how many words I wrote, and the badges from each event. Plus there's links to the events if anyone wants to join me.

So, that's how my blog stands at the moment. I hope to add new pages soon, with the rest of my blog posts on them. I will definitely update the pages I've already got as I write new posts. And I'm fairly confident that soon people will be able to find all my posts with ease. Reorganising a blog is hard work, but it is worth it.

Have you had to reorganise your blog? Any pages you'd like to see on my blog? Any tips for reorganisation? I'd love to hear from you.

6 comments:

  1. I did a similar thing with my blog, trying to roughly organise it under reviews/interviews/updates/writerly musings... I am around the 400 post mark, so there is a lot to get through!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oops, hit publish too soon - your blog looks lovely and organised, I am going to have a look through these lovely categories now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that is a lot of posts to reorganise. And I thought I had it hard with 150! I hope you find something of interest under my new categories. They (should) be easier to navigate. I suppose I should actually finish the reorganising soon.

      Delete
  3. *applauds* Whoop whoop! That's awesome, Imogen! And you must feel so amazing right now. It's always such a lot of work reorganizing a blog, but you've done a fabulous job! Congrats; I'm off to check out your pages!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It felt so good to have done the big things. After the pages are mad,e it's so much easier to add to them and keep the blog nice and neat. Now I just have to push myself to get a couple of other things done.

      Delete
    2. Well, good luck with those last couple of things!

      Delete