Monday, May 21, 2012

Camp NaNoWriMo Art

It has become a sort of tradition for me to draw themed art in the lead up to a NaNoWriMo event. I drew some NaNoWriMo art last November, and some Script Frenzy art this April. Now I've been doing some Camp NaNoWriMo themed art, almost as preparation for the coming event.



It being a virtual writer's camp, of course we must have some camp-like equipment, including torches and books for reading in the dark.


In this picture, I wanted a more campsite like feel. The basic make up of the pictures is very much like the official Camp NaNoWriMo web badge, but mine is more like a tent, and less like a book.



I wanted my third picture to continue the camping theme, but without the tents and moonlit night. And what says camping more than a pocket knife? And so I invented the Swiss Army Knife: Writer's Edition. Don't ask how the torch and coffee cup fold in. They just do.

So, those are the pictures I've got so far. I have no doubt I'll add to them as we draw closer to the actual event. I can hardly wait for it to start!

Is there anyone out there who has decided to take the challenge with me? Would anyone like to join my cabin? We have three empty beds if you'd like to join me at Camp NaNoWriMo.

What says 'camping' to you? Do you have any funny camping stories? Anyone coming on this virtual camp with me?

6 comments:

  1. Ooh, camping. I love camping. When I think of the word my brain concocts pictures of pine trees, a portable gas stove and cans of food, glow-in-the-dark rosaries and extra-dark nights.

    Once, when we lived in Germany, we went camping and there was a crazy thunderstorm with high winds. I remember holding tightly to a St. Michael the Archangel medal and squeezing my eyes shut. In the morning my little brother woke up and said "hey....it's raining!" He had slept through the whole darn thing. It must have been the understatement of the year...

    I was toying with the idea of doing camp NaNoWriMo, but my mum's due to have a baby any day now, so I shall be busy. Plus I have a lot of schoolwork to catch up on. It is a pity.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always imagine pine trees too, along with warm sunny days and a river nearby, waking up to the sound of the running water, and walking through the wet grass to an outdoor mass.

      You could always join in the August session of Camp NaNoWriMo, if that is a less busy time for you. and congratulations to your mum.

      Delete
  2. I like your art work! Very nice!

    I'm thinking of joining but I've not found the time to actually look into it and find out what it is. So, I might end up missing it. I've been busy with getting my book ready to publish.

    I hope you have a lot of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope everything goes well with your book publishing. And congratulations!

      If you miss the June session, there's always one in August you could join.

      Delete
  3. I've seen your artwork all over! Thinking I'm just going to do BunMo this time. I should be able to finish my next book by the end of June.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BunMo, that's one I haven't head of before.

      This book, is that CassaStorm? I hope the writing goes well for you over this next month.

      Delete