Monday, May 7, 2012

Essay Disaster


Saturday evening. Two days before my essay was due. Sure the essay was fine. Hadn't I spent the whole week working on it? Dad'd probably point out where I'd started a sentence with 'However', chuck in a few 'that's and it'd be done. Ready to send.

Well, that's what I thought...

Dad looked up from the computer screen. "This essay's great, but it doesn't quite answer the topic. It's a discussion, not an exposition."

My heart sank. Not right? Didn't answer the topic? But I had one day! One day before it was due! I'd never manage it. And, as Dad explained my essay's shortcomings, I started to feel that this was the essay that would fail. I could never fix it so fast.

"It seems like so much work," I sighed when Dad had finished. "I don't know where to begin."

"Don't worry, I'll help you." Dad grabbed a handful of paper, his tablet pc and a pen and headed for the table.

The hours passed in a blur as we pieced together a new essay from the bones of my old one. Under Dad's explanations and our combined research, the essay was looking possible. By the time I headed off to bed, I had a plan, resources, and drive. And the essay looked more than possible. It was probable.

Sunday disappeared into my computer as I cut up my old essay and remade it, wondering all the while, would I finish it in time? Evening came, and Dad gave my essay one final read through.

"You've got it," he said finally.

I grinned, relief flooding through me. It was done, thanks to my genius Dad.

So, this was my blogging break. What have you done this past week?

6 comments:

  1. I can't say much about what I did recently, except that JT's Tales is about this close to coming back online... But on the subject, I was thinking: Your schools must be tougher than ours; over here, the term "University" is reserved for the biggest and most expensive post 12th grade schools...;) I rarely have to much trouble with essays 'cause I'm usually given the option of elaborating on some point that's already been made in the text. Ding (well, sometimes)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have mainly colleges don't you? Here we generally have universities. I only know of one college.

      I find pulling someone's argument apart to be the hardest part. Once I know what I'm talking about, I don't have a problem writing the essay. It's all the research I have to do first.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! I hope it passes!!!! That was nice of your dad, to work it out with you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, I hope so too. Dad's been my greatest help with this unit, as it's my very first. I would be doing as well as I am without him.

      Delete
  3. Dad's! Right? :) Seriously think it's awesome he's such a good reader for you. Hope you ace it, and thanks for stopping by my blog. Now following your academic exploits.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad's helped me with my whole unit so far, showing me what real university work should look like. He won a Dean's Medal for his work in his last university course, so thankfully he knows what he's talking about. And he's a teacher, so he knows how to explain things.

      Thank you for following me.

      Delete